Drinking dessert coffees is one of the best ways to spend a day out, especially during hot weather. You can enjoy the beverage while watching the world go by outside a cafe. Or have it at home as you relax in front of the TV.
Frappuccinos are a favorite caffeinated dessert drink for many coffee drinkers. They contain everything we like to have in a delicious coffee beverage.
You may have seen them advertised at Starbucks, which has patented the drink, or in other cafes like Dunkin’ Donuts, where they are called Frappes.
If you are a person who prefers to drink black coffee, you’ve probably not heard of a Frappuccino. Or you may have seen it advertised on Starbucks cafe menus but have no idea what it contains.
It’s always good to sample and know what goes into different coffee beverages, especially if you love coffee. You become a coffee connoisseur with a world of knowledge on your favorite brew.
This article will give you information on Frappuccinos that may have you running to the coffee shop for one.
Let’s start by finding out what is used to brew it.
What’s in a Frappuccino?
The name Frappuccino comes from a combination of the words Cappuccino and lait frappé.
That’s because it is a mix of both drinks. These are “cappuccino,” a caffeinated coffee drink topped with frothed milk, and “Frappe,” a flavored milkshake.
So the word Frappuccino means an Espresso coffee-based drink with milk froth.
Frappuccino was first created by the Coffee Connection coffee shop chain. The coffee became so popular that Starbucks decided to patent it. What makes it so good? It’s the ingredients used to make it.
Frappuccinos are iced coffee drinks made by blending coffee, ice, milk, and flavored syrups. These ingredients are usually topped up with a generous amount of whipped cream and delicious sprinkles of chocolate chips.
The base of Frappuccinos is brewed coffee. Some people use Espresso coffee while others prefer coffee concentrate. You can prepare Frappuccino with whole milk or milk alternatives such as Soy milk, almond milk, or oat milk.
The toppings and flavored syrups added to Frappuccinos determine their calorie content and sweetness. Most of these beverages contain between 140 and 400 calories, depending on what is added to them.
Frappuccinos are named according to the syrups used to brew them. Some examples are Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino, Mocha Frappuccino, and Caramel Frappuccino.
Some Frappuccinos are named after the base drink used to make them. Some of them are
- Decaf Frappuccinos, which are made using decaffeinated Espresso, white chocolate syrup, steamed milk, and whipped cream.
- Crème Frappuccinos, which are non-caffeinated versions of the beverage that are made from milk, cream, ice cream, and flavorings.
- Frappuccino light coffees which are made with low-calorie ingredients such as non-fat milk and sugar-free syrup.
You may be interested in getting a Frappuccino but are unaware of where to buy it. Let’s find out.
Where Can You Buy A Frappuccino?
You can buy Frappuccinos in coffee shops or get a bottled version of them from grocery stores.
The best Frappuccinos come from popular coffee chains such as Starbucks. You can also make one at home.
Frappuccinos from coffee shops are customized according to customer preferences. You can ask for one with little ice or choose the kind of syrup you want in it.
You may also ask to have an extra shot or two of Espresso in your Frappuccino. There is even a juice version of Frappuccino made from tea. It is a drink you can have any way you like!
Some people think of Frappuccinos as regular iced coffee drinks just because they both contain ice. That’s not the case. The former is made of ice, coffee, and water, while the latter contains other ingredients such as whipped cream, milk, and flavored syrups.
These two differ widely in terms of their calorie content too. Frappuccinos contain more sugar than regular iced coffee due to the high-calorie ingredients used to make them. Incidentally, these ingredients are responsible for its fantastic taste, which is quite addictive!
Starbucks sells billions of Frappuccinos yearly because they are such fantastic beverages. What do they use to brew their Frappuccinos? Let’s find out.
What’s in a Starbucks Frappuccino?
Starbucks gained the right to make and sell Frappuccinos when it bought the Coffee Connection franchise in 1994.
Since that time, the coffee chain has gained a reputation for making the best Frappuccino in the US and other countries where they are located.
Since Starbucks trademarked the name “Frappuccino,” similar coffee beverages sold in coffee shops such as Dunkin’ Donuts are called frozen coffee, Frappe, or blended coffee.
Starbucks Frappuccinos are made with Espresso, flavored syrup such as caramel or mocha, ice, and whipped cream. They usually contain between 200 and 400 calories depending on the sweetener, milk, or syrup used to make them.
You can buy a tall, Grande, or Venti Frappuccino from Starbucks. The tall version contains about 64 mg of coffee, the Grande 95 mg of coffee, and the Venti 120 mg. These coffees can contain as much as 110 mg of caffeine.
Although Starbucks has patented its Frappuccino recipe, you can make your own version at home. Here is a recipe.
Simple Frappuccino recipe
2 shots of Espresso/ a cup of coffee concentrate
1 cup of whole milk/oat milk, soy milk, or almond milk.
1 Tbsp sugar / honey/ stevia
Flavored syrup of choice
- Put the Espresso in the fridge for two hours to make it cold enough for your Frappuccino.
- Pour the cold Espresso into a blender, and add a cup of whole milk. Blend the coffee and milk for a few seconds.
- Add two or three spoons of your flavored syrup of choice, such as caramel syrup, vanilla syrup, or mocha syrup, to the coffee and milk mixture.
- The syrup you choose will depend on the type of Frappuccino you want to make. Add caramel to prepare a caramel Frappuccino or chocolate syrup if you want a mocha Frappuccino.
- You can also add sweetener to your Frappuccino depending on the calorie count you prefer. Sweetened condensed milk is great if you don’t care about calories. Other options are regular sugar or low calories sweeteners such as Stevia.
- Blend all the ingredients in your Frappuccino, crash the ice cubes in a ziplock bag, and add them to the blended drink.
- Finish preparing your Frappuccino by adding a dollop or two of whipped cream, a drizzle of syrup, some chocolate chips, and any other toppings you prefer.
- Serve the Frappuccino in a tall 12 oz glass with a long-handled spoon or edible rice straw.
- Enjoy your delicious, flavorful, ice-cold coffee beverage!
Frappuccino is a great beverage to have any time you feel like a change from beverages like Americanos, Espresso, and Cappuccinos that dominate most coffee shop menus. It is an excellent dessert drink to have during days when you crave a decadent caffeinated beverage.
Watch how many of these beverages you drink because their creamy, flavorful goodness may give you a Frappuccino addiction.
Frappuccinos contain too many calories and can contribute to unnecessary weight gain. You could also trigger health issues such as Diabetes if you consume too many of them.
After all, is said and done, a Frappuccino is an excellent drink to have once in a while. Try one if you haven’t tasted it yet.
Remember that you can only order these drinks using the term “Frappuccino” in Starbucks because it’s a trademark name. When buying it from other cafes, ask for a Frappe.
You could also prepare a Frappuccino at home. We’ve given you a simple recipe for making Frappuccino here. Try it to see what makes this delicious coffee beverage so amazing.
Also read: Do Frappuccinos Have Coffee?