You may agree that one of the best ways to keep yourself energized for the day is by having black coffee in the morning. But do you know there are more black coffee benefits? Do you know black coffee has significant effects on your wellbeing? Are you aware that there may also be side effects to excessive drinking black coffee?
Black coffee is a special type of coffee that does not contain additional additives such as milk, cream, sugar, or extra flavors when it is brewed. This gives it the effect of a slightly bitter taste and a dark appearance. Many people love their coffee black. To them, it is an integral part of their daily diet.
This article contains insightful information on the benefit of drinking black coffee, its side effects, and the best way to make it for yourself.
The Use of Black Coffee for Nutritional Values
What distinguishes black coffee from other drinks is the fact that it is a drink that is low in calorie, carbohydrates, and fats. This is because it does not contain additives such as milk, sweetener, or cream.
Typically, below are the nutritional properties in an 8-ounce cup of black coffee:
- 0% fats
- 0% cholesterol
- 0% sodium
- 0% carbohydrate
- 0% sugar
- 4% potassium
Based on the nutritional properties above, it’s obvious that black coffee has a low amount of nutrients. This is because of the absence of some other ingredients. However, if you are looking for a regular drink that can suit your health, black coffee is your best choice.
On the other hand, if what you are looking for is a drink with a high nutritional value under the category of coffee drinks, you can go for espresso latte, mocha, cappuccino, and others.
The Use of Black Coffee for Weight Loss
A major black coffee benefit is that it assists in weight loss. Many people, even regular consumers of black coffee, still do not know that black coffee ranks top among the beverages perfect for weight loss. If you desire to lose weight for beauty or health reasons, or if you need a better body structure that can boost your self-confidence, black coffee is your best drink. It’s no longer a secret that the body does not only need exercise to be in good shape. It needs a good diet too. With respect to weight loss, the choice of foods and beverages you consume is very important, and one of the best is black coffee.
Advantages of Using Black Coffee for Weight Loss
- By drinking black coffee, you reduce the production of glucose in the body. This is because black coffee contains chlorogenic acid. If taken after a meal, it limits the amount of glucose and body fat produced by the body.
- Black coffee intake contains polyphenols and antioxidants that makes weight loss activities more effective.
- Research shows that black coffee suppresses hunger by improving energy and stimulating metabolic activities. This is because it is rich in caffeine.
- Black coffee has little or no calory. You can’t find fats or cholesterol in it. Thus, it does not increase cholesterol levels. This way, regular consumption of black coffee does not result in to increase in weight.
- Fitness instructors recommend the intake of black coffee before hitting the gym. This is because it improves metabolism and makes workouts give quality results. It also allows muscles to burn fat within shorter times in both men and women.
- Black coffee helps regulate water in the body, thereby leading to temporary weight loss. This is because it makes consumers urinate frequently.
- Note: Adding additives to your black coffee nullifies the advantages of black coffee, as presented above. This implies that for you to achieve weight loss, add no sugar or sweeteners, creamers, milk, or other ingredients.
Black Coffee Health Benefits
- It Gives Improvements to Cardiovascular Health: Study shows that consistent consumption of black coffee may lead to an increase in blood pressure. However, this effect reduces with time. According to researchers, consistent consumption of one or two cups of black coffee daily helps minimize the risk of having cardiovascular disorders such as rheumatism. It also reduces stroke risk. In addition to reducing inflammation in the body, a regular intake of black coffee makes the heart stronger. Thus, a coffee drinker has a reduced risk of heart disease and heart failure by promoting good heart health.
- It Boosts Cognitive Abilities: Studies shows that the older a person becomes, the less effective his or her cognitive becomes. This explains memory-related diseases like dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease are often found among old people. Black coffee has proven to be highly effective in improving brain function by promoting memory and boosting cognitive function. With the regular consumption of black coffee, the risk of memory-related diseases is limited. Also, black coffee and American coffee contain niacin (vitamin B3) that boosts brain function and also prevents general health issues.
- It Helps the Liver to Function Well: One of the distinctive advantages of black coffee is that it helps the liver to function well. The liver is an integral organ of the body that carries out delicate functions. To promote liver health and keep the liver actively functional, the intake of black coffee is very advantageous. Regular consumption of black coffee can help prevent liver disease like liver cirrhosis, liver cancer, hepatitis, and fatty liver disease. The more you take black coffee, the lower the dangerous liver enzymes that are contained in the blood.
- It Helps you Cleanse your Stomach: Coffee is a perfect diuretic beverage. This implies that regular consumption of coffee leads to frequent urination. This is a very good way for your body to flush out harmful toxins and bacteria in your stomach. This cleanses the stomach and keeps your body more active.
- It Prevents Cancer: Cancer is beleived to be caused by free radicals and abnormal growth of body cells. Many researchers have come to the conclusion that regular consumption of black coffee can minimize the risk of developing several cancers such as liver cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and rectal cancer. By minimizing body inflammation, black coffee prevents tumor development in your body.
- It is a Great Antioxidant: What distinguishes black coffee from other beverages is that it is exceedingly rich in antioxidants. It contains powerful antioxidants like magnesium, potassium, manganese, and vitamins B2, B3, and B5.
- Prevents Type 2 Diabetes: There is evidence that coffee drinkers have a reduced diabetes risk. Insulin production occurs in the pancrease. Insulin resistance increases the risk of diabetes. The caffeine content in black coffee promotes insulin sensitivity. Although its not a cure after diabetes diagnosis, it works by regulating blood sugar levels. Thus, it aids in treatment. Also, taking decaf coffee as your morning coffee or part of breakfast or any other time of the day assists in prevention of diabetes.
- Boosts Mood: Also, caffeine consumption, especially through coffee consumption works as a stimulant for all age groups to boost energy levels. In fact, it’s one of the best stimulants. Thus, taking black coffee before a workout session or exercises will stimulate the nervous system. The stimulation boosts energy level. As a result, the compounds in coffee gives a quick energy boost, especially for athletes. Also, the stimulation effect reduces depression and headaches. Additionally, caffeine intake increases dopamine and serotonin levels in the central nervous system. Serotonin and dopamine send signals between nerves. Thus, their increase promotes alertness.
The Best Way to Make Black Coffee
There is no unanimous way of making black joe. However, different processes of making black coffee result in different end tastes. This implies that there are unique ways you can make your black coffee taste great all the time.
Basically, there are two methods of making black coffee. It can either be ground manually or ground using a machine. These two methods sure do not have the same tastes.
The best way to make black coffee is to grind the beans manually. This way, the natural taste of black coffee is well preserved. For personal intake, take about three teaspoons of coffee and crush it manually till it is as clear as salt. Put 600 grams of water in your kettle and boil it. Fill it with black coffee but do not forget to add a filter to your dripper. Pour it into a cup after gently tapping the surface. Your black coffee will be ready in no time.
An alternative to this is to grind it with a coffee machine. Many people adopt this method instead of a coffee maker because of its convenience.
Side Effects of Black Coffee
You have seen the benefits of black coffee and its tremendous influence on health, belly fat, and weight loss. It’s time to take a more critical approach to the topic: Is black coffee all advantageous to the body? Does a black coffee brew have any health effects? Is it something you should drink all the time? Are there no side effects at all to taking it?
Like many other things, this beverage can be abused if taken in excess. At that point, it becomes harmful to the body and causes health problems. Below are some of the downsides of excessive intake of black coffee:
- Excessive intake of black coffee increases stress hormones in the body. An increase in any stress hormone results in stress and anxiety. Too much black coffee can result in a jittery feeling in your body. Caffeine in coffee beans promotes the production of the neurotransmitter adrenaline and noradrenaline that increase heart rate. If these neurotransmitters are produced excessively, you may experience increased stress levels.
- Too much black coffee can distort your circadian rhythm. Also, coffee drinking blocks adenosine receptors, thereby promoting wakefulness. Thus, it messes with your sleeping routine. If unchecked, this can lead to insomnia. To avoid this, It is advised that you take black coffee a few hours prior to bedtime. This way, it does not prevent you from sleeping.
- Excessive consumption of black coffee can increase acidity in your stomach. This is because black coffee is rich in acid and caffeine. To avoid having cramps and abdominal spasms, regulate your intake of black coffee.
- Excessive consumption of black coffee limits your body’s function to absorb important minerals from other foods and drinks. Too much black coffee limits minerals like iron, calcium, and zinc.
- Just like alcohol consumption, excessive coffee intake can cause addiction. As a result, healthcare professional workers such as dietitians or nutritionists recommend moderate coffee intake.
- Also, black coffee is not recommended for patients and children. Also, a breastfeeding woman should limit their coffee intake due to its caffeine contents and other substances that may harm a toddler.
There are so many health benefits linked to black coffee. As it has been presented, one of the most notable black coffee’s benefits is that it is a perfect beverage for weight management by improving the use of fatty acids. It also helps in the improvement of cognitive abilities, the healthiness of liver and heart, increase in metabolism, increase endurance, and reduction of cancer risks.
However, its consumption has to be done in moderation. As it has been shown, excessive intake of black coffee has its side effects, most of which are harmful to your wellbeing. Its side effects include; increase in stress and anxiety, a distortion in sleep routine, an increase in acidity, and a limit in the body’s ability to absorb minerals. If you cannot stomach coffee, avoid it altogether.
Regardles, moderate consumption of black coffee guarantees a great beverage that does not have fats, calories, and cholesterol.