Iced mocha, just like other homemade mochas, is easy to make, yet incredibly delicious. All you need to make delicious mocha ice coffee at home is cocoa powder, cold coffee, whipping cream, milk, and sugar.
If you already have some cold coffee ready, you’ll only need a few minutes to mix the ingredients and pour them over ice for a satisfying drink, especially for those who have chocolate and caffeine cravings. In fact, mocha ice coffee does more than just satisfying these cravings.
You can easily make it taste like a Starbucks iced mocha. It’s cheaper than buying the brew from a Starbucks outlet. You can adjust the ingredients the way you want for a more personalized taste. Whether you want to make iced mocha to perk you up in the morning or energize you in the afternoon, it’s a perfect brew combining chocolate and coffee.
Here’s how to make mocha ice coffee at home.
- Milk– You can make iced mocha with any kind of milk, even non-dairy milk. Preferably, use milk with higher fat content for a creamier and richer drink.
- Chocolate syrup– You can make chocolate syrup at home rather than using hot chocolate or buying premade chocolate syrup.
- Coffee– You’ll need a strong coffee brew, such as an espresso. The coffee brew should be chilled.
Step 1- First, make chocolate syrup. To do this, mix cocoa, some milk, and sugar and whisk them on a stove. The stove should be set on medium heat. Whisk until all the sugar dissolves. Once the ingredients mix up, you’ll get a very smooth and creamy chocolate syrup.
Step 2- Add a little more milk. Next, add cold coffee. Stir them to mix into the chocolate syrup.
Step 3- Put enough ice cubes in a glass.
Step 4- Pour the mixture over the ice cubes.
Step 5- Top the brew with some whipped cream. However, this is optional. You can garnish the brew with some chocolate syrup or fudge sauce depending on your taste preferences.
Tips for Making Perfect Mocha Ice Coffee
- Only use top-quality and freshly brewed coffee. Preferably, use a strong coffee brew for the best-tasting iced coffee such as an espresso shot.
- Adjust the ingredients to your taste preferences. If you prefer a more delicious drink, garnish with chocolate sauce and whipped cream.
- Freeze coffee beforehand. Ice cubes can melt, thereby watering down the brew. To prevent this from happening, freeze some little coffee beforehand and use it instead of water ice cubes.
- Use any milk alternative. You can either use milk for this recipe or other milk alternatives such as half and half depending on your preferences.
Cinnamon Mocha Ice Coffee
If you prefer something spicier, you can add cinnamon syrup to make cinnamon mocha ice coffee. Here’s how to prepare it.
Ingredients for making cinnamon mocha ice coffee:
- Ice cubes (made of coffee)
- Cold-brew (1/2 cup)
- Cinnamon syrup (2 tablespoons)
- Chocolate syrup (1 tablespoon)
- Half and half (1/4 cup)
Ingredients for making cinnamon syrup:
- Water (1 cup)
- Whole cinnamon (2 sticks)
- Granulated sugar (1 1/4 cup)
Step 1- To make cinnamon syrup, add cinnamon sticks, sugar, and water to a saucepan.
Step 2- Boil the ingredients over medium to low heat. Allow them to simmer for approximately 5 minutes. That way, the liquid content will reduce slightly. Allow them to cool completely. Next, sieve the sticks. To do this, pour the syrup over a strainer. Transfer the syrup to a re-sealable container or jar. Refrigerate for a maximum of 14 days.
Step 4- To make cinnamon mocha ice coffee, add some cinnamon syrup into the mocha ice coffee. Top the drink with some half and half. You can use milk if you don’t have some half and half. Enjoy the drink.
Frequently Asked Questions?
How do you chill coffee quickly when preparing a cold brew?
It’s recommended to use cold brew when making mocha ice coffee. If you don’t have a ready cold brew, you may consider pouring warm mocha coffee over ice. Although this will chill the brew, the ice cubes may water down your brew. You can chill coffee quickly by doing the following:
- Brew coffee with double strength. Pour the brew over ice in a cup, preferably a ratio of 1 cup ice and 1 cup coffee. That way, the ice will chill the coffee and bring it to regular strength. That way, the brew won’t be watered down. Freeze any extra coffee to make ice cubes for future use.
- Alternatively, pour a hot brew into a cup. Put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes to cool. However, don’t freeze it for too long as it’ll freeze.
Is iced mocha similar to iced latte?
These two mocha coffees are made almost the same way but the ingredients differ slightly. Iced mocha comprises a blend of a strong coffee brew, chocolate syrup, and milk served over iced. On the other hand, an iced latte comprises a blend of a strong coffee brew and some cold milk served over ice.
What ingredients does Starbuck iced mocha include?
Starbucks prepared iced mocha included espresso, milk, mocha sauce, and ice cubes. The sauce is prepared with water, cocoa that’s processed with an alkali, natural flavor, and sugar. By making mocha ice coffee at home, you’ll control the ingredients you’ll include.
Is iced mocha the same as iced latte?
Iced mocha is simply an iced latte that contains a chocolate flavor.
Can you make vegan mocha ice coffee?
Yes. Simply substitute milk and whipped cream with non-dairy alternatives.
Can you make chocolate syrup for mocha ice coffee in a microwave?
It’s not a must to make the chocolate syrup on a stovetop. You can also make it in your microwave. To do this, add sugar, cocoa powder, and milk (2 tablespoons) in a cup. The cup should be microwave safe. Microwave the ingredients until they steam (for approximately 30 seconds). Remove the cup from the microwave. Stir the ingredients until it smoothens.
Is mocha ice coffee sweet?
The sweetness of iced mocha is mainly dependent on the ingredients used. It’s sweet when having chocolate syrup as one of the ingredients.
Is mocha a coffee drink or a chocolate drink?
Mocha is a flavored drink that combines both chocolate and coffee.
What does mocha ice coffee taste like?
Iced mocha features a taste similar to that of iced cold brew with a rich and sweet chocolate flavor.