Coffee is a favorite beverage for many people. And with each passing day, more people are catching on to the benefits of drinking it. That has inspired beverage producers to come up with unique coffee brands to satisfy the demand for excellent coffee drinks.
Some of the interesting coffee beverages you’ll find in grocery stores are those made from other ingredients besides coffee beans or coffee grounds.
The idea behind these innovative coffees is to enhance coffee’s flavor and nutritional content while reducing its caffeine. These coffees appeal to people who are tired of suffering from caffeine sensitivity due to drinking regular coffee.
An excellent example of the improved coffee beverages in the market is Bru coffee.
What is Bru Coffee?
Bru coffee is granulated/ instant coffee made from a blend of Arabica and Robusta coffee beans with some chicory. It is an instant coffee you can use to prepare cold and hot beverages depending on one’s preferences.
Since Bru coffee was launched in the 1960s in India, it has been a favorite coffee for many people. It comprises 70% coffee powder and 30% Chicory powder.
Some of the reasons people love Bru coffee are;
- It’s easy to prepare because it takes minutes to make
- It contains Chicory, which lowers the caffeine content in Bru coffee and adds lots of vitamins and minerals to it.
- The Chicory in Bru coffee gives it a unique flavor that set’s it apart from other instant coffees.
- Bru’s caffeine content can improve one’s cognitive brain functions and mood, preventing depression.
- Taking nutritious beverages like Bru coffee promotes longevity by lowering the risk of developing chronic ailments like Diabetes.
You can prepare Bru coffee using the coffee filter method or by frothing to make a delicious hot, energizing brew. Some people prefer to add some ice to it because it makes a delicious and refreshing iced coffee.
Bru cold coffee is usually strong, creamy, and sweet. Unfortunately, some people shy away from using it because it is instant coffee.
Is Instant Coffee Really Bad for you?
Although some people think Bru coffee is not good because it’s instant coffee, that’s not the case. Instant coffee accounts for over 50 percent of coffee consumption worldwide.
Some of the reasons instant coffees like Bru coffee are so popular is their affordability and ease of use. They only differ from coffee grounds in terms of what is used to make them.
For example, Bru coffee is made by spray or freeze drying a brew made from ground coffee and Chicory. That results in a dried coffee and chicory extract that dissolves easily in hot water.
The fact that Bru instant coffee is made by drying brewed coffee doesn’t reduce its flavor, aroma, or quality. It is one of the excellent instant coffees around, not only because it’s made from a great blend of coffee beans but also due to its chicory content.
It’s important to note that, like other instant coffees, Bru contains less caffeine than regular coffee. The chicory content in it also reduces its caffeine content further.
You may be skeptical about taking a beverage with Chicory, but it’s a great ingredient. Here is some information about it.
What is Chicory?
Chicory, also known as Blue Sailors or Achicoria, is a plant whose dried seeds and roots are used for medicinal purposes. It can reduce constipation, improve cardiovascular health, and strengthen the liver.
You’ll also find Chicory in many food recipes because it’s valued as a healthy cooking spice. It is also often added to beverages which is why it makes a great addition to coffee.
Adding Chicory to coffee enriches its texture, minerals, and vitamins such as beta-carotene.
People who avoid coffee due to its caffeine content or chronic health issues such as Diabetes can take Chicory as a coffee substitute.
There are also those who prefer to drink coffee brands with Chicory, such as Bru because it reduces their caffeine content and makes them more nutritious.
So if you are looking for a low-caffeinated beverage, Bru is the best choice.
Cold Bru beverages are quite popular during the Summer months. Here is a recipe for preparing Bru Cold coffee.
How to Make Bru Cold Coffee
There are many ways to make Bru cold coffee. You can brew an extra sweet, spicy version of it as a dessert coffee or a regular version with little or no sugar. Here are recipes for both coffee beverages.
Sweet Bru Cold Coffee Recipe
2 teaspoons of Bru coffee powder
3 cups of hot water
1 tsp of cinnamon powder
2 tbsp of sweetener
1/2 cup of condensed sweet milk
1 cup of ice cubes
- Add Bru coffee powder, cinnamon, sweetener, and sugar to hot water in a jar. Stir the ingredients into the water until they dissolve.
- Cover the coffee and refrigerate it for a day or overnight.
- Remove the cold Bru coffee from the fridge and strain out any coffee powder, cinnamon, and other particles in it.
- Pour the cold Bru coffee mixture into a tall glass until it’s 1/2 way full. Fill the rest of the glass with ice cubes.
- Top the Bru cold coffee with the sweetened condensed milk and stir.
- You may also scoop a few spoons of cold whipped cream over the Bru coffee and drizzle your favorite syrup on top.
Low-calorie Bru Coffee Recipe
2 Tbsp Bru coffee powder
100 ml cold milk
1 Tsp low-calories sweetener
1 cup of iced cubes
- Pour the milk, sweetener, and coffee powder into a blender or shaker.
- Blend these ingredients until you get a smooth mixture with delicious foam.
- Pour the blended coffee mixture into a large glass and with ice cubes.
- Enjoy your low – calorie Bru ice coffee!
That’s some information on Bru cold coffee and how to prepare it. We’ve also given you some benefits of drinking Bru coffee that may encourage you to take it instead of regular coffee.
Nutritious coffees like Bru with low – caffeine content are good for one’s health. They also come in handy when you are away from home.
It takes minutes to prepare a cup of hot Bru coffee if you have a sachet of it with you and a flask of hot water.
So the next time you need a great quality pack of instant coffee, Bru coffee is the way to go.
Also check: How To Make Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate?