Espresso, a coffee beverage made from fine coffee grounds under high pressure, is one of the most preferred coffee drinks by caffeine addicts.
Despite its small quantity, this coffee beverage is packed with lots of flavor. However, it can be a little bitter due to its potency. Therefore, people have found a way to sweeten it and improve its texture.
A common method is by adding milk to it to make beverages such as Cappuccinos, Macchiatos, and lattes. However, these drinks have become quite mainstream.
Therefore, people are finding other ways to enhance the taste of Espresso. A popular method is by mixing it with ingredients such as ice cream and whipped cream.
Some espresso beverages are also prepared with desserts we usually have on their own. An example is Espresso anglaise, a decadent coffee drink made from a well-loved baking staple called Anglaise.
What is Anglaise?
Anglaise is a French name for English cream, a sweet vanilla custard sauce. It is also called creme anglaise,
This stirred sauce is prepared by cooking milk, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla into a creamy sauce. It is often used to sweeten and enhance the texture of caffeinated beverages.
You can add Anglaise sauce to warm or cold coffee drinks to give them a rich, creamy consistency. When added to Espresso, it creates a boldly flavored, creamy, and sweet beverage called Espresso Anglaise.
The base of this beverage is a boldly flavored Espresso that can balance the creamy and sweet notes in the anglaise. When these two are combined, they make a decadent, delicious drink.
The main reason Anglaise sauce complements Espresso coffee so well is that it cuts down the bitterness of the beverage. It also gives it a rich, smooth taste, making it an excellent dessert drink.
Espresso Anglaise is usually served chilled with toppings such as chocolate shavings and spices like nutmeg or cinnamon. Although it is traditionally made with dairy milk, you can also prepare it with almond, rice, or coconut milk. Here’s how to prepare it with whole milk.
How to Make Espresso Anglaise
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup hot milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup espresso coffee
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Slowly heat and blend the egg yolks, vanilla extract, and sugar over low heat in a saucepan while whisking it until it becomes frothy.
- Gradually add the hot Espresso and milk into the Anglaise while continuously whisking the mixture.
- Slowly cook the Espresso Anglaise on low heat for 4 – 6 minutes while continuously stirring it with a wooden spoon. Do not let it boil.
- Strain the Anglaise sauce into a clean bowl when it attains a smooth consistency and coats the back of the wooden spoon. Then, pour it into coffee glasses and refrigerate it for 2 hours.
- After it’s sufficiently chilled to the consistency of ice cream, sprinkle some chocolate shavings on top and some Espresso coffee beans. Serve and enjoy.
Now you know something about Espresso Anglaise. You can see it’s quite a simple beverage. Despite its foreign-sounding name, it’s very easy to prepare and makes a delicious dessert or sweet treat.
The next time you want a creamy coffee drink, try our Espresso Anglaise recipe for one of the best dessert coffees you’ve ever tasted.
It may encourage you to learn how to make other decadent espresso-based drinks that will enhance your coffee-drinking experience.